Sunday, June 16, 2019

Summer 2019 Osaka/Tokyo Family Trip: Day 2- Kyoto: Gion District

Although we've only been here a couple of days, it feels like over a week!  I'm still catching up on posts, so please be patient with me.  Trying to get everyone's photos and finding the time to post is not that easy, plus I think I'm starting to get sick.  (sad face)

So, I just realized that I didn't talk about this in my last post..


If you see this at your local combini... grab it!  It's bomb.  They are located in the freezer section by the ice cream.  You won't regret it, especially on a hot day.  Scratch that, even on a cold day you won't regret it.  You're welcome.

It was so good, we tried a different flavor the next morning..  but my favorite is the grape so far.



Anyway, Day 2 started with waking up at 4:00 to find out the sun rises super early here in Japan.  That coupled with the fact that we are right next to the trains and the zoo makes it hard for me to sleep.  We needed to get up early anyway to pick up Denise, so we made our way back to Kansai Airport.  Pick up crew ready to get going..




But had a small combini breakfast before we left.  As you can see, our airb&b does not have big common areas, so we congregated on mom's floor since it was in the middle.


Made it to the station and found Every Burger!  Yay!


After a little confusion as to which terminal to go to, we finally found Denise!


Heading back to the gang.



We let Denise settle in and got ready to head out on our first adventure.  Kyoto Bound!

Look how diligent our kids are.  Akemi had an online assignment due that day and S is taking 5 AP classes next year in which she was given summer homework.  Geez, poor kid doesn't really have a summer.


First stop was Gion in Kyoto!  Paul and I have never been, so this was all new to us too.  I had heard about it from Paolo in Tokyo's channel and thought it would be cool to explore.  I really liked the architecture and felt like we were in old Japan.



And of course, we had to try the coolest Starbucks on the planet,..


We tried three drinks that we couldn't get in America... Frozen Green Apple Green Tea, Yuzu tea, and Pudding Frappe- special edition,  I don't normally go for the frappes but this one was bomb!  We also liked the Yuzu tea, but could live without the green apple,



Pondering how to be cool and hip like the girls next to us...  Translation- Paul was making fun of the girls next to us.  They were all in Kimono posing in the tatami room- I thought it was cute.




This area sits on a hill with lots of little shops and restaurants. I loved it!  I would definitely go back.


Even found a little Japanese garden behind the shops!





They had a pretty good sized Ghibli store too.







Further down, we found this pagoda.  I'm sure it's a popular attraction, but I'm junk and don't know the name.


Group selfie time!


We had to stop at a cafe so that Akemi could finish her homework.  We kept her company and had a snack.  Mmmmm... Kakigori!


After homework was turned in, we headed to the Fushimi Inari Shrine with all the tori gates.







I guess there might be monkeys on the trail? This warning sign was posted to let everyone know.   Someone was being silly like the monkeys.



OK ready for the Inari Shrine challenge...  or so I thought.




And so it begins...  May the odds be ever in your favor...




OK, so half the group went ahead of the rest of us, so we never actually saw them till we met up at the start.  Akemi is pointing out on the map where they were at that point, but me, mom, and Denise never made it to that area.  We turned around after a few hills and headed back.  Paul, Akemi, and Lilly decided to finish the entire hike.  Like a champ..


I guess it was getting dark, so the shrine is lit up at night.


Here's proof they made it to the top.





At the top, there was a shrine.  They thought they were going to die, so they prayed to the gods to get them down safely.


Troopers....  I don't think I could've made it.


These foxes were everywhere.  I think they are always at inari shrines.  I like to think they are wearing the red bibs cause they are ready to eat the rice...


Paul just told me that the foxes are the messengers for the gods. The more tails they have, the older and wiser they are.  Therefore, Vulpix must be pretty old and very wise!!


Here's the view from the top.  Beautiful at night, but very abunai to go down in the dark.



We started to get worried when Darren came back with the girls and Paul them took awhile to show up.  Just when we started to really get worried, the three troopers made their appearance!  Props to them for finishing. 

We then headed back to the airb&b and had dinner (minus Akemi, who decided to soak in the tub).


Paul celebrated his hiking victory with this...They microwave it for you when you buy it!


Stay tuned for more family adventures...

No comments:

Post a Comment