Friday, November 2, 2018

Osaka Tokyo Adventure - Day 3 Part 1: Tsukiji Market

Ok, I'm more rested and now connected, so hopefully I can finish this post before we hit Osaka.  Day 3 of our trip was all about food!  Well, so was the day before... so I guess you can say our trip is all about food!  We decided to hit Tsukiji Market this time. The last time we went was on our first trip.  I don't recall going through an open market when there, so I wasn't really interested in going back.  But after watching a bunch of YouTube videos on it, I thought we should go back.  I don't know how the heck we missed it last time?!

So if you regularly read my Japan blog posts, you will know I love seeing funny ads on the trains/subways and in the stations.  This one made me laugh!


After getting a little lost getting off the subway, we finally made it to the market!  All I can say is that you should do your research before going. I watched videos by Simply Dumpling, TabiEats, and Paolo in Tokyo regularly and saw all the things they recommended or tried.   So I took notes and we looked for some of those items too.  The first thing I got was a custard filled strawberry mochi!  That mochi was so soft!  They had many flavors, but I could only eat one, so I got the custard.  I would definitely get this again!



Next up was a shrimp tempura sushi.  It was just ok. I actually think the ones I used to get from Shirokiya was better.  Perhaps I should have tried the other musubis instead.




I thought this Christmas tree in the middle of the market was pretty random.  Is it me, or is it weird to have the scrubbers as ornaments?





Ok back to food... we found a Yakitori stand that looked pretty good.  I think it was 200 yen for any skewer.




After you select what you want, they re-heat it up for you!






We got the scallops, saba, and unagi.  The saba was a last minute add on, but it was so yummy!



Next up was those kamaboko/tempura sticks that we tried back in Miyajima.  Sadly, I haven't found any comparable yet.  The one we got was just alright...


I believe the one we got was the potato with mayo.  Maybe we should've gotten a different one.


When we hit the end of the market, we saw another mochi booth and decided to try another one.


This time we chose a chocolate filled one with no strawberry.  I think it also had anko inside.  It was good, but the first one was better.


So we decided to go back to the booths we wanted to try and saw the inari sushi booth that was featured on Tabi Eats.  It was an inari (cone) sushi with crab on top.  They had other versions too... Paul liked this sign in their booth!




Here's my sushi.  I like the boat it was served in!


 The crab was so juicy!!

I think Paul found this amusing...


 Ok on to the good stuff.  Paul wanted to try the fresh scallops.  This one was huge!!


Asian taking a picture of Asian taking a picture of food...


Excited for the taste!!



Verdict?  Oishii!  Even had to drink the juice!


Then Paul had an idea...


He got inspired... LOL!


Nearby the scallops was the king crab!!! Yessssss!!!


Earlier we saw grilled king crab for 2800 yen.  So I decided not to get it cause of the price... but this seemed like a good deal!  1500 yen for a bunch of pieces...  Super excited to try...


OMG... so good!!!  So juicy and no butter added!


 After we were done, we went to get my furikake I was eyeing from when we first got there.  I ended up getting 2 jars- one with crab and one with "fancy fish".  Can't wait to try them when I get home.

So after Tsukiji Market, I was tired and needed to sit down.  So we found a Starbucks to recharge at. I wanted to try the Halloween Witch frappe but it was sold out. Booo... so I ended up with the Halloween Princess.  It was not bad. I thought it would be super sweet but it wasn't.


OK signing off for now.  The next post will be a long one, so I'm breaking this post up into two parts...  See you in the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment